It’s December 11th!!!
That means five more days until winter break!
Sorry I haven’t posted for the last few days! I’ve been busy with last before-the-break tests and homework. But to continue Cookmas, I wanted to make something quick(ish) and simple a few nights ago. And of course it has to be Christmas-y so the winner: Browned Butter M&M Cookie Bars! I was planning on not using the Christmas peanut M&M’s… but when I got home – it turned out that’s what I had bought. But, it turned out just as well!
Now a little about my weekend – I had a soccer tournament this weekend and it was freezing. And just great, I hurt my knee. On the bright side – I can now bake more! But I won’t be able to work out that much (unless I stick to upper body workouts but crutches already give that).
Browned Butter M&M Cookie Bars
A peanut butter twist on the classic cookie.
- 2 cup flour
- ½ cup oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks butter (1 cup)
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups peanut M&M’s (Christmas colored of course)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray a 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray or butter.
- Sift together the flour, oats, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, over medium to low heat, brown the butter: Stir constantly until the butter is completely melted, a few brown specks are visible, and it has a nutty aroma. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- In a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time. Scrape down the bowl after each addition. Add in vanilla. Gradually mix in the dry ingredients, scraping the bowl when necessary. Gently fold in the peanut M’Ms and chocolate chips. Chill the dough for 10 minutes in the fridge. Spread the dough evenly in the pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.