It’s finally winter break! That means homework and tests get put on hold, seniors are scrambling to get college apps in, and lots and lots of festive cheer (and cookies). Oh, I am so excited! My mom and I are planning on having a cookie making marathon where we ‘ll make our favorite Greek Christmas cookies – koulourakia, melomakarona, and kourabiedes. And then when my sister comes home from Texas – we’ll make gingerbread men cookies and sugar cookies! (I wonder who will eat them all) Then, when my brother comes home we will begin to build an elaborate gingerbread house (blueprints still in progress).
Anyways, these peppermint brownies are an awesome way to step up your brownie game – holiday style. And putting ganache on top just makes it that much more rich and chocolatey.
I had baked this a few nights ago with my best friend, Alana ( in between physics problems). And of course… I am behind on Cookmas – that will change soon!
Dark Chocolate Peppermint Brownies
Step up your brownie game with this holiday twist!
For the brownies
- 12 oz. dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
For the ganache
- 8 oz. dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Crushed candy canes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray or butter a baking pan. In a small saucepan, melt together dark chocolate chips and butter, stirring constantly. Let cool.
- In a stand mixer, cream together both sugars with the chocolate mixture. One at a time, add in the eggs. Scrape the bowl when necessary. Add vanilla extract and peppermint extract.
- In a small bowl, sift together salt, cocoa powder, and flour.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to batter. Scrape down bowl.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out fairly clean. Let cool.
- To make the ganache, boil the heavy cream (either in the microwave or on stove). Pour over dark chocolate to melt it, stirring constantly until completely smooth. Spread over brownies. Sprinkle crushed candy canes over ganache. Let cool. Makes 25 brownies.